Adam C. Smedstad
Mr. Smedstad focuses his practice on litigation of commercial and business disputes
Smedstad is a commercial trial lawyer who has spent most of his career defending motor carriers and property brokers in class actions. Smedstad is licensed to practice law in California, Washington, and Illinois. He has defended challenges to independent contractor classification as well as employee wage and hour claims in some of the nation’s most difficult jurisdictions. He also has extensive experience defending class actions alleging violations of the Federal Leasing Regulations.
On The Road
- Class Action Update
May 21, 2020, Adam C. Smedstad, Scopelitis Webinar Series
- Class Action Update
Mar 21, 2019, Adam C. Smedstad, Scopelitis Webinar Series
- Avoiding Class Action Lawsuits and Worker Misclassification
Oct 24, 2017, Adam C. Smedstad, Customized Logistics and Delivery Association’s (CLDA) 2017 Fall Forum & Lobby Day – “Making Washington Work for You” Conference - Washington, D.C.
- Class Action Update - Escaping the Eruption of Class and Collective Actions
Oct 19, 2017, Adam C. Smedstad, Scopelitis Webinar Series
- Law Alert: Ninth Circuit Denies Rehearing in CTA CaseThe United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has denied the California Trucking Association’s (CTA) request for an en banc review of the Ninth Circuit’s April 28 decision that found the CTA was unlikely to succeed on its claim that the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994 (F4A) preempts AB-5, the California legislature’s imposition of a restrictive ABC test.
- Law Alert: 9th Circuit Rules AB-5 Not Preempted On April 28, 2021, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit held that California Trucking Association (CTA) was unlikely to succeed on the merits with respect to its claim that AB-5, the California legislature’s imposition of a restrictive ABC test, is preempted by the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 1994 (F4A). What is the future of AB-5 and how will it affect the transportation industry?
- Law Alert: DOL Opinion Letters on Gig Economy Workers and Compensability of Sleeper Berth Time WithdrawnThe U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) withdrew an Opinion Letter issued in 2019 deeming gig economy workers engaging through a virtual marketplace platform to be independent contractors under the Fair Labor Standards Act’s economic realities test (FLSA-2019-6).
- Law Alert: Ninth Circuit Upholds California Meal and Rest Break PreemptionThe United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit delivered good news for the trucking industry today, upholding the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s determination that California’s meal and rest break rules are preempted under 49 U.S.C. § 31141.
- Transportation Brief: Key Cases Addressing the Reach of California’s Strict Wage and Hour Laws
On a certified question from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the California Supreme Court decided a pair of cases that will certainly impact California wage and hour class actions against motor carriers. Read more from Scopelitis regarding what this means for the transportation industry.
- Law Alert: California Supreme Court Decides Key Wage and Hour Cases Impacting Interstate WorkersOn a certified question from the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the California Supreme Court decided a pair of cases that will certainly impact California wage and hour class actions against motor carriers. Read more about what that means for the transportation industry.
- Transportation Brief: Spotlight on Scopelitis Class Action DefenseOver the last 15 years, the transportation industry has been subject to an onslaught of wage-and-hour class actions. Legislative efforts like New Jersey’s efforts to adopt the ABC test for misclassification claims and California’s AB 5 ensure wage-and-hour class actions will continue to threaten transportation companies for the foreseeable future. As one of the few legal teams in the country to have successfully tried multiple class actions to verdict, Scopelitis is at the forefront when it comes to making and defending the law. Learn more.
- Law Alert: District Court Dismisses Meal and Rest Break Claims Based on FMCSA Preemption DecisionA decision that sets an important precedent for transportation companies facing meal and rest break claims in California. Read more from the Scopelitis Class Action Defense and Complex Litigation team.