Andrew J. Butcher
Mr. Butcher focuses on labor and employment litigation representing clients involved in FLSA collective action and class action cases. He also counsels transportation companies on regulatory compliance, state wage and hour laws, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, and independent contractor issues.
Andy regularly defends transportation companies throughout the nation in complex litigation matters involving issues of independent contractor arrangements, state wage and hour laws, the Fair Labor and Standards Act, and Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act. Andy was listed as one of the top 5% of Indiana lawyers by the Indiana Super Lawyers ® peer selection survey, was among the top 2.5% of lawyers under the age of 40 practicing in Washington, D.C. according to the Washington Super Lawyers ® peer selection survey, and was listed as one of Illinois Super Lawyers ®. During law school he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Energy Bar Association's Energy Law Journal, and a recipient of the ALI-ABA Scholarship & Leadership Award given to the graduating law student who best exemplifies academic success and leadership. He often speaks at transportation-related seminars across the country on topics related to the independent contractor model and class action litigation.
On The Road
- Avoiding Class Action Lawsuits and Worker Misclassification
Oct 24, 2017, Andrew J. Butcher, Customized Logistics and Delivery Association’s (CLDA) 2017 Fall Forum & Lobby Day – “Making Washington Work for You” Conference - Washington, D.C.
- Class Action Update - Escaping the Eruption of Class and Collective Actions
Oct 19, 2017, Andrew J. Butcher, Scopelitis Webinar Series
- Transportation Brief: Illinois Supreme Court Ruling Sparks Increase in Biometric Privacy LitigationAs the use of biometric identifiers for timekeeping, handheld devices, and security grows, so does state regulation and litigation. A recent Illinois Supreme Court ruling and the subsequent flood of litigation regarding compliance with Illinois’s Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) highlights the urgent need to review biometric compliance protocol.
- Scopelitis in the News: "Class & Collective Actions: Recent Developments & Managing Risks." Winter 2019 Customized Logistics & Delivery (CLDA) Magazine.Scopelitis Partners Andy Butcher and Emily Quillen in CLDA's Winter 2019 Magazine on trends in class and collective actions that are contributing to increased exposure and a few suggestions aimed at reducing those risks.
- "Taking It to Court: Top legal issues facing motor carriers", Arkansas Trucking Report (2013)