Andrew K. Light
Mr. Light’s diverse transportation practice includes business restructuring; insurance procurement and coverage; regulatory compliance; acquisitions; transportation contracts; independent contractor issues; intermodal issues; international transportation; third-party logistics practice; warehousing; IRP, IFTA and DOT audits; transportation-related tax issues; risk management; and cargo claims.
Andrew K. Light is the transportation industry’s lawyer, representing all types of domestic and international carriers, shippers, third-party intermediaries, leasing companies, private carriers, and transportation-related insurers on a full-service, national, and international basis. Nationally regarded as a transportation law public speaker, he regularly serves as a panelist and lecturer at transportation-related seminars and conferences across the country, addressing such topics as insurance program designs, business restructuring issues, and liability-limiting or cost-saving plans for the trucking industry. Mr. Light was one of only three Indiana attorneys named to The BTI Client Service All-Stars 2012 list and was also listed as one of the top 5% of attorneys in Indiana by the Indiana Super Lawyers® peer selection survey. He is also AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability, and recognized as a “Top Rated Lawyer in Transportation” by Martindale-Hubbell™ and American Lawyer Media.
- Transportation Brief: Spotlight on Scopelitis Emerging Tech PracticeThe way transportation companies conduct business today is changing quicker than ever, with technology presenting new opportunities and challenges. The Scopelitis Firm actively follows these changes and frequently assists newly-formed, technology-based transportation companies and established companies that seek to adopt new technologies to enhance their existing business model.
- Transportation Law Alert: Unified Carrier RegistrationRead Scopelitis' take on 2018 registration year fees for the UCR.
- Scopelitis in the News: Scopelitis Honored with 2017 IMTA Legislative Recognition AwardScopelitis recognized for 2017 legislative work.
- Law Alert: Permanent Injunction Issued on DOL’s Overtime RuleRead more on Scopelitis' take on a Texas judge's final order rejecting the U.S. Department of Labor’s attempt to raise the salary level for “white collar” exemptions from overtime.
- Scopelitis in the News: HB 1002 Balances Higher Trucking Fees, Infrastructure HelpScopelitis Partners Andy Light and Shannon Cohen share insights with Indiana Lawyer on Indiana House Bill 1002.
- Transportation Brief: Ohio Commercial Activity Tax Audits on the RiseOperating interstate motor vehicles in and through a jurisdiction where the carrier does not maintain an office, terminal or resident employee may create a state tax filing obligation. There is an increase in Ohio Commercial Activity Tax (CAT) audit activity involving interstate motor carriers with some presence in the state.
- Scopelitis in the News: "Legal Structure Considerations for Diverse Logistics Operations." July 2014, The Logistics Journal (TLJ)Scopelitis Partners Nathaniel Saylor and Andy Light share insights with TLJ on whether clients should restructure their operations to separate various lines of business into different legal entities.