Christopher C. McNatt Jr.
Mr. McNatt focuses on international transportation and customs issues as well as independent contractor and employment matters. He advises domestic and international transportation companies and customs brokers on the full range of business issues from regulatory matters and contracts to cargo liability concerns. Mr. McNatt is also often involved in litigation concerning commercial transactions, cargo claims disputes, personal injury, employment-related matters and independent contractor disputes.
Christopher C. McNatt, Jr. represents motor carriers, logistics companies, international freight forwarders, and customs brokers in a variety of issues including operational and regulatory compliance, contract review and formation, insurance, cargo liability, collections and litigation. His areas of practice include regulatory compliance, litigation, contracts and general transportation issues.
- Law Alert: Motion to Stay Order Enjoining Application of AB 5 to Motor Carriers DeniedLate yesterday afternoon, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit denied a motion by intervenor-defendant-appellant International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) to stay the federal district court’s preliminary injunction pending appeal in California Trucking Association v. Beccera. The Ninth Circuit also ordered oral argument on the appeal of the preliminary injunction order fast-tracked.
- Law Alert: AB 5 Preliminary Injunction GrantedCalifornia Federal District Judge Roger Benitez granted a preliminary injunction in California Trucking Association v. Beccera. The order enjoins the State from enforcing AB 5 as to any motor carrier operating in California pending entry of final judgment in the case by the District Court. Read more on this news.
- Law Alert: AB 5 Temporary Restraining Order ExtendedCalifornia Federal District Judge Roger Benitez considered whether to grant a preliminary injunction in California Trucking Association v. Beccera. Read more about the latest AB 5 news.
- Law Alert: AB 5 Temporary Restraining Order GrantedOn December 31, 2019, California Federal District Judge Roger Benitez granted a temporary restraining order in California Trucking Association v. Beccera. The TRO enjoins the State from enforcing AB 5 as to any motor carrier operating in California. More on this news.
- Scopelitis in the News: "Trucking Looks for Solutions to California's Stringent New Independent Contractor Law." October 22, 2019. Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT).Scopelitis Partners Greg Feary, Shannon Cohen, and Chris McNatt quoted in Heavy Duty Trucking on California's AB 5 law.
- Law Alert: California ABC Test - Controversial AB 5 Moves to GovernorScopelitis on the California legislature passing AB 5, which will impact many small businesses in California and will alter business relationships with many companies that work with those small businesses.
- Law Alert: Dynamex Legislation Passes California AssemblyScopelitis attorneys offer an update on the potential application of the Dynamex standard.
- Law Alert: California Joint and Several Motor Carrier ListPursuant to the statutory “publication” requirement under CA Labor Code §2810.4 a list of motor carriers that have outstanding California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement wage and hour liabilities has been published. Read more.
- Transportation Law Alert: California Bars Inquiries Into Applicants’ Salary HistoryRead Scopelitis' take on California law prohibiting employers from seeking salary history information from applicants for employment.