Donald J. Vogel
Mr. Vogel's practice focuses on labor and employment issues in the transportation industry and general business counseling.
Donald J. Vogel is a partner who represents management and individuals in the defense of Title VII, ERISA, Multi-Employer Pension Plan Amendment Act claims, and related employment/wrongful discharge/ discrimination claims in state and federal courts. He frequently counsels clients on their rights and responsibilities under labor and employment contracts, offers advice on various business issues, and has represented numerous clients in cases before the Illinois Department of Human Rights, State and Federal Departments of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Council, National Labor Relations Board, and arbitration cases before mandatory State Court Mediation Panels, the American Arbitration Association and the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. He also handles corporate and commercial litigation involving insurance, land trusts, real estate, contracts, secured transactions, sales, leasing and related commercial issues. Mr. Vogel is a Past President of the Transportation Lawyers Association and is a recipient of the TLA's Distinguished Service Award. He is a frequent author of papers and lectures on issues involving the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, ERISA withdrawal liability, independent contractor issues, and other employment and labor-related topics. Mr. Vogel is AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability, and recognized as a “Top Rated Lawyer in Transportation” by Martindale-Hubbell™ and American Lawyer Media. He has also been selected as one of the top Illinois lawyers in the Illinois Super Lawyers Peer Survey Selection.
On The Road
- Latest Trends in Labor Campaigns Panel "New Frontiers in Labor and Employment Law for the Transportation Industry"
Sep 18, 2017, Donald J. Vogel, Annual North American Transportation Employee Relations Association (NATERA) Conference - Houston, TX
- Scopelitis L & E News: Sexual Harassment Prevention Training is Invaluable and a Must in CaliforniaMore on a Sexual Harassment Prevention Training offered by Scopelitis' Labor & Employment practice.
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment Newsletter - EEO-1 ReportingUpdates from Scopelitis' Labor and Employment team.
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment Newsletter - March 2019Updates from Scopelitis' Labor and Employment team.
- Law Alert: NLRB Re-Focuses Its Independent Contractor TestMore on The National Labor Relations Board determination that van drivers franchised with SuperShuttle DFW, Inc., were properly classified as independent contractors rather than employees. Ion organizing or other concerted activity exists.
- Transportation Brief: Beware Your State Minimum Wage Increases for 2019With a new year inevitably comes new laws. Many of these laws affect employee compensation, expense reimbursement, and a whole host of other benefits and employment issues. Read more from our attorneys.
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment eNewsletter: A Note on New Requirements for the Reimbursement of Employee ExpensesFrom Scopelitis' L & E Practice, this issue focuses on Illinois recently becoming the ninth state or district to mandate reimbursement of an employee’s expenses
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment eNewsletter: The Overtime Salary Threshold - Still On HoldFrom Scopelitis' L & E Practice, this issue focuses on the overtime salary threshold of $23,660 that has been under review by the Department of Labor (“DOL”) since 2016 - still on hold
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment eNewsletter: A Note About OSHA and Safety ComplianceFrom Scopelitis' L & E Practice, this issue focuses on OSHA who has recently provided guidance for safety-minded companies in the form of advice as well as citations issued
- Scopelitis Labor & Employment eNewsletter: A Note About Service Animals in the WorkplaceFrom Scopelitis' L & E Practice, this issue focuses on does an employer have a legal obligation to allow an employee to bring an animal into the workplace?
- Law Alert: NLRB Invites Comments On Employee Access to Employer Email for Union Organizing PurposesRead insights from Scopelitis on a notice issued by the NLRB on August 1st regarding invites to file briefs on whether the Board should adhere to, modify, or overrule Purple Communications, Inc., 361 NLRB 1050 (2014).
- Scopelitis in the News: Scopelitis Partner Don Vogel Receives TLA Lifetime Achievement AwardTransportation Lawyers Association bestowed its 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award on Don Vogel, a partner in Scopelitis' Chicago office.
- Law Alert: ALJ Finds Misclassifying Independent Contractor Drivers Violates the NLRARead Scopelitis' take on the ALJ decision.
- Scopelitis in the News: "Ballot Scribbles May Change Outcome of Union Election." June 20 2017, Bloomberg BNAScopelitis Partner Donald Vogel on the Hanson Cold Storage Co. v. NLRB , 2017 BL 210293, 7th Cir., No. 16-3617, 6/20/17, the decision shows that irregular markings on a single ballot can change the result of a close contest over union representation.